The myth we’re debunking this week is the following:
“The only way of receiving a service is by handing over cash.”
Now don’t get us wrong, we’re not saying you don’t have to pay for a service but there is more than one way to pay for a service. This may sound a bit weird at first but we promise it will make sense if you stick around to the end of this blog.
So what are the other payment alternatives and what exactly is a services swap?
Money may seem like the currency that makes the world go round but there are other currencies out there such as Time, Effort, Relationships, Energy and Contra deals. Contra deals are simply arrangements where two or more parties exchange products or services with no cash ever touching the table. Contra deals are essentially services swaps. If you think this sounds too good to be true, let us tell you about our experience with contra deals. Our story with services swaps started when our very own Kim Barret was able to score a beautiful Range Rover without paying a single cent. Our office has also been remodeled without us ever having to pay a single dollar. How did we achieve this? You guessed it, with a services swap! We simply reached an agreement with other service providers who realised that our services are actually worth a range rover or an office remodeling (we must be doing something right! 😜)
So how do you exactly carry out a services swap? Before you even think of contacting another service provider you need to have a clear idea of the following two things:
- What you want and be willing to ask for it.
- What value you provide.
If you’re having a tough time deciding on what you want or/and what you can provide, we recommend doing the following exercise: Grab a pen and paper, or ipad and apple pencil if you’re a millennial or an entrepreneur, and complete the following 6 steps.
- What are the more expensive products/services you offer? Write them down as well as the retail price of each.
- What are the things you need at the moment for business growth? Write them down next to the products/services you offer and write down the estimated retail price too.
- Try to match the services you offer with the services you need based on retail price similarity.
- What businesses out there have the things you need? Write them down, if you don’t know, just google it, simples.
- Contact each one of these businesses and explain to them what you can offer in exchange for what you need.
- Enjoy your services swap!
Once you have a clear idea of what you want and what you can provide in exchange, the easiest way to ask is to have a simple phone call. Make sure you are able to clearly articulate how you and the other party can both benefit from this deal.
If you still don’t feel 100% sure about how to carry out a services swap, feel free to give us a call and we’ll happily provide the guidance you need, maybe we can do a services swap! 😜